February 19, 2014 - Brooklyn, NY. The Well Project, a premier resource for information about women and HIV, today announced the launch of its new website (www.thewellproject.org), featuring improved functionality, broader global access, and increased social connectivity. The new website was developed in consultation with The Well Project’s community advisory board, an international group of women living with HIV.
“There have been tremendous changes since The Well Project was founded in 2002, both in technology and the field of HIV/AIDS,” said Krista Martel, executive director of The Well Project. “While our site needed a technological upgrade, more importantly we wanted to ensure that The Well Project retains its status as the ‘go to’ hub for information and resources on women and HIV. The updates we are announcing today reflect our commitment to our global audience, as well as our ability to create content that responds to and addresses their needs.”
Designed with input from Well Project users and a community advisory board, the new site incorporates a fresh look and a cleaner structure, improved functionality, and a number of new features to enhance social connectivity and broaden The Well Project’s community of support. The Well Project worked with the Playground Group, a full-service digital agency, to update and design the website.
- Get Connected: The site’s new social features include instant chat, member profiles visibility, forum discussions, and groups.
- HIV Information: The Well Project’s collection of more than 150 articles containing easy-to-read, accurate information specifically tailored to women and girls. This is the same trusted information that The Well Project has provided for more than 12 years.
- A Girl Like Me: Our unique online global support community that enables women and girls with HIV to share their stories and experiences in a safe place has become the heart of The Well Project’s community.
- Our Partners: A new section that provides information about the valuable work of The Well Project’s partner organizations. This section enables users to view partner resources, learn about upcoming events, and become part of the broader community looking to change the course of the HIV/AIDS epidemic, especially as it pertains to women and girls.
- Who We Are: Includes The Well Project’s history, impact, supporters, recent news and events, team members, board of directors, and community advisory board.
“It is the ultimate objective of The Well Project to provide women across the globe access to culturally relevant information about HIV/AIDS in their own native languages,” said Richard Averitt, co-founder and chair of the board of The Well Project. “Today’s announcement is an important step toward realizing this ambitious goal and we couldn’t be more thrilled.”
The Well Project will host a webinar to highlight and describe the website’s new features on National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day, March 10, at 10:00 am ET. Users can pre-register here, and access the webinar online (https://www.anymeeting.com/272-508-166) or via phone (213-416-1560, access code 1044335).
“The Well Project is increasing its ability to support and connect women and girls living with HIV by creating an innovative, user-friendly website for women and girls from all over the world,” said Sonia Rastogi, member of The Well Project’s community advisory board and Positive Women’s Network – USA. “This website will build upon The Well Project’s strong foundation of providing information and tools for women and girls to make their own informed decisions about their life, their bodies, and their dreams. I am excited to build community with women around the world!”
About Playground Group Inc.
The Playground Group is a full-service digital agency. From Brand Strategy to Social Media, they utilize a fusion of design and technology to make all media efforts work together towards a common goal. They create communications that grow sustainable businesses, make brand experiences fun and help organizations make the world a better place.
About The Well Project
The Well Project is a non-profit organization whose mission is to change the course of the HIV/AIDS pandemic through a unique and comprehensive focus on women and girls. The Well Project develops and offers resources that move women along the HIV continuum of care by helping them overcome the inequalities, barriers, and stigma that contribute to the epidemic among women. The organization focuses on three critical gaps related to women and HIV: information access, community support, and targeted research. These resources include an award-winning web portal that provides information on more than 150 topics related to both HIV-positive and negative women and girls; the A Girl Like Me blog, a unique online global support community that enables women and girls with HIV to share stories and experiences in a safe place; and the Women's Research Initiative on HIV/AIDS, an expert, transdisciplinary think tank established to elevate, enhance, and expedite HIV treatment and prevention research on women and girls. The Well Project advocates that every woman and girl has the right to quality, current information about HIV/AIDS, which can mean the difference between simply living with HIV, to contributing to and thriving within her community.
Together, we can change the tide of the HIV epidemic…one woman at a time.
# # #