It's been a minute since my last post. A lot has happened. I had the pleasure of attending the 2018 Positive Women’s Network Summit in Myrtle Beach. I have the pleasure of becoming the PWN State Leads for Florida along with the beautiful Lindsay Connors. Florida being number 1 in newly diagnosed cases, it’s only fair that we have two State Leads. 150,000 plus in Florida and 51,000 plus in Miami-Dade County. We can change this by working together for the greater good.
Now is my countdown to my Gastric Sleeve surgery. Dated July 25. I’m 23 days away from my new body and a healthier lifestyle. I decided to share my journey.
I decided that after 15 years of being over 200 pounds and my son is 15 now, what better time than the present to take my life back and do something for me.
My pre-op checklist is a duzy.
- A weight loss seminar.
- Hematology Clearance: Due to a blood clot in my lungs (Pulmonary Embolism) during Hurricane Irma September 2017, I slept in my car for the whole week the power was off.
- Sleep Study: Turns out that I have Sleep Apnea. Now I have to wear a breathing mask because I stop breathing during my sleep.
- Pulmonary Clearance: Due to the Pulmonary Embolism and a history of DVT (Blood Clots in my legs).
- Psych Evaluation: Since I do not see someone regularly, I had to pay out of pocket $150.00 for this. It’s just to make sure I understand what and why I'm having the surgery.
- Nutrition Evaluation: 1 year evaluation, meaning 12 visits with a nutritionist. I was able to use 6 months.
- Endoscopy: This is an outpatient procedure where the doctor puts you under anesthesia and sticks a long tube down your throat to check for digestive issues. All Clear.
- Chest X-Ray
- Pre-Op labs
- PCP Surgical Clearance: Primary Care Physician Clearance
- Insurance Authorization
It’s a lot of work, so you have to be prepared to get it done or you won’t get the surgery. It’s you proving your commitment to what you want and working towards your goal.
I will keep you posted ladies.
Love, Pozitively Alecia Miami